Favorite Golf CoursesBack in September, I promised I would write more about golf. Up until this point, I haven't. With the spring-like temperatures this week, I've been getting the itch to play again. Until spring training gets into full swing, I decided to turn my thoughts to golf.
Since 1988, I've been a golfer. I hit the links as often as I can, but sadly, that's not as often as I would like. After deciding I was too small to be an effective wide receiver during my freshman year of high school, I turned to golf. The adventure began at the Dwight Country Club as I stood on the 10th tee box.
Looking back, I haven't played nearly as many courses as I would like. Some people plan golfing vacations, but I haven't. Though I never keep an exhaustive log of courses I've played, there are two I've played more than the rest. The Dwight Country Club is an 18-hole course in Dwight, Illinois is hands down the course I've played the most. I ripped that course up virtually every day during the high school golf season from my sophomore year through my senior year. Throw summers during college and the annual round with friends in the mix, and that makes it the clear leader.
The second course is Sugar Creek Golf Course. It's a 9-hole course located in Villa Park, Illinois but maintained by Elmhurst Park District staff. Playing there in college and working at the park district for just shy of a decade makes that my second-most-played course.
By no means is this a complete list, but here are some the courses I know I've played. I wish I kept a list of each course I played in high school, that would easily triple the size of this list. All of these courses are located in Illinois.
- Dwight Country Club, Dwight
- Sugar Creek Golf Course, Villa Park
- Arrowhead Golf Club, Wheaton
- White Pines Golf Club, Bensenville
- Downers Grove Golf Club, Downers Grove
- The Den at Fox Creek, Bloomington
- Green Garden Country Club, Frankfort
- Oak Brook Golf Club, Oak Brook
- Tamarack Golf Club, Naperville
- Oak Meadows Golf Club, Addison
- Maple Meadows Golf Club, Wood Dale
- Robert A. Black Golf Course, Chicago
- Ken Loch Golf Links, Lombard
- St. Andrews Golf and Country Club, West Chicago
- Willow Crest Golf Club, Oak Brook
- Meadowlark Golf Course, Hinsdale
- Wolf Creek Golf Club, Pontiac
- Fresh Meadow Golf Club, Hillside
- Shamrock Golf Course, St. Anne
If you're a golfer, what courses do you play regularly? How often do you get out?